29 June 2006

Taking the Day

The Fourth is coming up, which, I know that's not news to any of you. I work for the state, so I'm off that day. It's a Tuesday. I'm off Saturday, Sunday, and Tuesday. Monday, I'm supposed to be here.
I want to go to visit Mrs. P. A two-day break isn't long enough for that. So, I'm not working on Monday. I'm taking the day.
I like that expression, "taking the day." Americans say they're taking the day OFF, but to the British, it's "taking the day." It makes more sense. Deleting that one word makes a huge difference in what we're saying.
The American version sounds a little bit guilty, like you're getting away with something. You're supposed to be working, but you're not. It's like we think we're skipping school.
But the British, whose expressions are nearly always more elegant or wittier than their American equivalents, they get it right. I'm taking the day. My various jobs have stolen all these days from me, thousands of precious and limited days over the course of my life, and now I'm stealing this one back. It's mine, goddamnit, one of a limited number allotted to me, and I'm gonna do what I want with it.
I wanna get out of town. I want my Mrs. P. I wanna hang out and travel with Sarah. I wanna be off alone in the wilderness with Clan Dooley and with all the interesting people I've heard so much about.
To the state of West Virginia: get off me, you sons of bitches.
I'm taking the day.

No comments: