27 September 2007

Not All Who Wander Are Lost

I was walking. It had been a hot day, but the evening was cool, and I was shivering. I had a canteen full of cheap wine, and I sipped it for warmth. I had walked far enough that the lights of the city no longer obscured the stars, and they were company. I remembered all the nights with my father, him pointing out constellations and the names of the stars, and wished I had paid more attention. "You," I decided, pointing at a star at random, "can be Sirius, because you're very bright. And you," I picked out five stars that were arranged in a vague W, "you ladies will be Cassiopeia. Just for tonight."
I was removing myself from everyone, but I was not isolating myself. I was absorbing the night, riding the tide of the universe around me, and trying to figure out if that's maybe Mars on the horizon. I could have come home and gotten my star charts, but I had already walked so far. Anyway, the things I didn't know weren't bothering me. It was the things I did know that were trouble.

No comments: