01 November 2008

Somewhat hopeful...

Okay, I know not everyone agrees with me on this, but I love the Friday the 13th film series. They’re just a big messy glorious pile of dumb, and they make me happy, which is why I own nine of the ten films on DVD (does someone wanna get me F13-9: Jason Goes To Hell for Bogey Day?).
So part of me is a little bit pissed-off and horrified that they’re doing a Rob Zombie-style reboot of the series rather than just making F13-11 (and also that Michael Bay is apparently involved). But another part of me is kinda fascinated by it. And today I ran across the new teaser trailer online, and I gotta say, it’s pretty effective:
Friday The 13th in HD

So, yeah. That right there pretty much guarantees that I’ll be in the theater on 2/13/9 catching the new film. I like that they’ve returned to a more active Jason, like in the early films. I mean, he never became the shambling revenant that Michael Myers was, but he definitely slowed down a bit towards the end of the series. That bit at the end of the trailer where he charges…I found that unsettling, in a very satisfying way.
I did notice that the voiceover for the trailer was clearly taken from Betsy Palmer’s dialog from the original movie. I know that they hired Nana Visitor to play Pamela Voorhees for this version (a nice little bit of Star Trek weirdness for the new film), but I’d heard that her scenes had been cut. This would seem to confirm that, which depresses me; if Mama Voorhees isn’t gonna be in it, that’ll hurt the film a lot, in my opinion.
On the other hand, check out this picture of the kid they got to play young Jason. Goodness gracious. Look at how far apart his eyes are, and how his head is just waaaaay too big for his body, and how his face doesn’t take up as much of it as it should. And dig those ears, so far down the side of his head! I mean, he’s not a terribly ugly kid or anything, but you can definitely see a bit of Jason in him even without makeup. Once they’ve got him in costume, that’s gonna be a creepy little bastard, huh?
So, on balance, and against my better judgment, I’m pretty excited about the new film. Who’s going to see it with me?
 

No comments: